Schnitzel is pan fried breaded meat cutlet; meat is usually thinned by pounding with a meat tenderizer, and that is pan fried in oil. There are also schnitzels which are not breaded like Walliser Schnitzel. Even though Schnitzel originated in Austria, the breaded schnitzel is popular in Germany and is usually made using either veal, mutton, chicken, beef, or pork.
Since, I am a vegetarian so I thought of making a vegetarian version of Schnitzel using Chickpeas.The recipe which I have mentioned below is completely vegetarian & does not contain egg.
The recipe is easy & quick to prepare. Only prep you need to do is soak the chickpeas. Let’s get going!
Prep Time: 8 hours 15 mins (includes soaking of chickpeas)
Cook Time: 10 mins
1 cup boiled chickpeas/ kabuli chana
1 tbsp Oil
2 tbsp Wheat Flour
2 tbsp Bread Crumbs
1/4th cup water
2 tbsp Soya Sauce
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
Salt as per taste
Fresh Bread Crumbs
Oil for Pan frying
For Boiling Chickpeas
1. Soak 3/4th cup of chickpeas in water for minimum 8 hours. Once you’re done with soaking, pressure cook chickpeas. Keep the chickpeas aside to cool down; make sure the chickpeas are not mushy or very watery.
For Fresh Bread Crumbs
2. Tear 2 bread slices roughly into small pieces & place them in the grinder. Blitz it till they are fine crumbs. It’s ready to use
3. Mash boiled Chickpeas with masher or just quickly blitz it in a grinder.
4. Now in a mixing bowl, take 1 cup mashed chickpeas & required quantity of oil. Mix well.
5. Now add wheat flour & bread crumbs.
6. Mix in some water, soya sauce, chopped garlic, oregano, chilli flakes & add salt to taste.
7. Mix it with your hands shape it like a ball of dough
8. Now to make the cutlet take a small ball of dough, press it on your palms & give it a shape of fish filet basically oval or drop shaped. Do not keep it very thick or very thin. Keep it flat so that it’s pan fried uniformly.
9. Coat the cutlet with breadcrumbs on both the sides.
For Pan Frying
10. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, once the oil is hot; place the cutlet & let it turn golden brown on both sides.
11. Serve crispy Chickpea Schnitzels with lemon slices and/or salad